Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 26 - No lactose, no gluten, no garlic, no cocoa

So. After inhaling some more bran muffins after dinner last night, I woke up this morning with a stomach ache. I woke up yesterday with a stomach ache too, and attributed it to the honey we put in the last lot of muffins (thinking we were fine with oats and trying to sneak another food in). This lot of muffins only had maple syrup in them. Oats? Are oats a problem? Honestly, what an innocuous food! Well, if the garlic stomach ache was a 7/10 on the "I never want to eat again" scale, oats are a measly 3 or 4. But there's something there for sure. I'm not ruling them out, but they're off the menu for the moment and I'll see how I go some other time.

I filled in a form for a conference registration today. When I got to the bit about dietary requirements I had to think hard. No cocoa was an easy one; so was no garlic. I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant (or milk intolerant), but I'll find out later today or tomorrow for sure (more punishment for some past-life misdeeds), so I put that down too. And then I thought about the oats. Surely they weren't going to serve oats. But having small problems with oats has me worried about a bigger issue - gluten intolerance. See, while wheat is the biggie for gluten intolerance, oats have some gluten in them too. Geez I hope I don't end up on that road. Although, honestly, it will probably be easier than no-garlic, as gluten intolerance is well recognised and reasonably well catered for at many restaurants these days. My final food list said "No lactose, no gluten, no garlic, no cocoa". *sigh* I restrained myself from also ticking the "Vegetarian" box. I think they might have spat in my food if I'd done that.

1 comment:

  1. You know what? At conferences they pretty much make the same thing for anyone who falls into the box of "special dietary requirements". Tends to equate to a lot of eating fruit salad and vegetable stacks for me, although with the no garlic you might get something different. I'd suggest bringing some nuts (if you can eat them) or something with you.

    ReplyDelete