Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 29 - Now you're cooking with butter!

Wow, it's been a month and we're still going strong!

On Friday, we tried milk. As I've said here a number of times, and to my friends about 50 million times, I was already about 99% sure I was lactose/milk intolerant (you can be intolerant to the milk proteins also). Er... And now I'm about 80% sure I'm not milk intolerant. I was totally gearing up for a horrid experience. I didn't drink my milk until mid Friday arvo, just in case I needed to rush off and throw up or go home because I was feeling terrible. I started slowly - after the garlic experience I'm a bit cautious - with just about 75mL. Half an hour later and feeling fine I had another 75mL. An hour later and wondering what was going on I downed the rest of the 250mL bottle I had brought with me. Nothing. Nothing at all. Feeling braver on Saturday morning I started the day with a whole glass of milk and nothing else. I figured the combo of empty stomach + no other food was sure to get a reaction. Nope. Made it 2 and a half hours til lunch without so much as a rumble or pang. Hm. So it would seem that milk's not such an issue. How strange. a year and a half of total milk avoidance for nothing. Well, not for nothing - I actually don't like milk, so it was hardly a chore.

In other good news, while it's still on the suspicious list and needs further trialling tonight, it seems wheat might not be a problem either (durum wheat is still permanently off the menu, unfortunately). D and I ate pancakes until we were exploding last night and again, not so much as a dull ache resulted. D seems to have an iron stomach, although is beginning to suspect that avocados (one of our 'safe' foods, haha) might be a little problematic at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment